Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Whole Wheat English Muffin Bliss




Oh boy I was so excited to get to my computer to write about my english muffins that I ended up burning the last two. Other than that, my first attempt at english muffins has yielded me 22 glorious muffins. YIPPIE!!!!!!

I feel as though I have conquered something. Maybe, it's the fact that I know long am bound to the chains of the commercial grocery store. Other than Tiana's and admittedly my love for Shaw's English Muffins we have been able to avoid the pitfalls of the large chain grocery store. But tonight we have victory!!!

To tell the truth I'm wondering why it has taken so long for me to attempt this recipe. It was quite easy and they look and taste amazing. I wonder how life will be without shopping at places like Shaw's. Luckily, I spend my lunch breaks walking up and down the isles of Stop and Shop. But it's a different feeling when you know that you don't have to buy anything already made for you. Not to say that I won't. I certainly don't have the time to make all the things I love to make from scratch every week. Here to hoping that one day that will be my reality.

Recipe
1 1/2 cup of warm water
1 1/2 cup of warm milk
2 tablespoons of yeast
1 egg
1/4 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup of honey
1 teaspoon of salt
6 cups of wheat flour

1. Heat up the milk and water. I do it together to make it easier. mix it in with the yeast and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
2. mix canola oil, honey and egg in another bowl and combine with yeast mixture3. slowly add the flour and salt to the wet ingredients.
3. mix the dough and then place it in an oiled bowl rise for one and half hours.
4. lay the dough on a table floured with cornmeal until the dough is 1/2 inch thick. use a mason jar to cut round dough and place them on a baking sheet to rise for another 1/2 hour.


5. Heat a skillet or griddle with cornmeal in it and cook muffins for 5-7 minutes on each side.



6. let them cool and then EAT!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I prefer freedom toast. Nah, just kidding. Those look pretty tasty. How was the density? Did they end up with a lot of good nooks and crannies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering I used all wheat flour they weren't as dense as I thought they might be. When ever I make bread I use 1/3 white flour, but didn't do it with the muffins and they came out great.

    Once I got the hang of it, there ended up being some cute little nooks and crannies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing that makes me happier than coming home after a long day of work to find 22 home-made english muffins cooling on the kitchen counter. Yum, yum, yum! This was most definitely a success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your Blog! - Kris Copeland

    ReplyDelete