Monday, June 28, 2010

Israeli Couscous, Green, Beans and Sausage

I don't know about you but I have fallen in love with Israeli couscous, unlike regular couscous this grain is less dry and has an unique texture that resembles orzo. I stumbled upon this grain when I was stuck making a dish with no couscous in sight. What started as an experiment turned into a flavorful dish with artichokes and chicken shawarma.

This week in our CSA we got a large portion of greens (swiss chard and collards). Just what I needed to spice up some Israeli Couscous. Along with my greens, couscous I had some dried chick peas and some chicken sausage. The best thing about cooking with grains is you just add whatever vegetables you have in the fridge to it and you have a home cooked meal in just under 30 minutes. And not the 30 minute meal that Rachael Ray cooks up, this one is quite healthy as well as satisfying.


The Recipe
12 oz Israeli Couscous ( I buy it in bulk when possible. But you can find it in Trader Joe's in a 12 oz bag)
two bunches of greens ( Again I used swiss chard and collards)
1 package chicken sausage
1 to 2 cups cooked chick peas
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
a splash of olive oil
2 cups of chicken broth
salt and pepper

1. If you are using dried chick peas you have to start this recipe the day before to soak them. But feel free to use a can of chick peas.
2. add the couscous to a deep frying pan with a touch of olive oil. Cook on medium heat for about three to five minutes until the couscous starts to brown. The add 1-1/2 cups chicken broth. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes. It's done when it has absorbed all the water.

3. In another pan, add chopped garlic and sliced sausage with some olive oil and cook for a few minutes. Most Chicken Sausage is pre cooked.
4. Add onion and greens and let cook for a few moments and then add the rest of your broth. you might need more broth to cook down the greens.

5. When the green and sausage have cooked add in your couscous and chick peas and heat together to blend the flavor.

This basic recipe can go with a variety of different vegetables. Get creative!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to eat this!!!!!! Damn this stupid monday morning and forgetting my lunch in the fridge. Oh well. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete