Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Greens Gratin




Ah Greens......they are just magical. Well at least they were before our farm share started. I'm a sucker for them; kale, swiss chard, mustard greens, taro leaves(ok so those ones you only get in Hawai'i). The farm share has even taught me to love collards.

Here's the kick though, the greens keep coming and coming and coming. What went from being an exciting cooking companion has gone to create a certain degree of stress. I have cooked greens more in the past six or seven weeks then we usually eat in all of the fall and winter months. Needless to say I have gotten creative with them...

Check out this recipe for a greens gratin I made with swiss chard and beet greens.

2 bunches of your favorite greens
2 cups of any soft cheese you can find. I used Asiago and Gouda
1 cup of low fat milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
olive oil
sage or basil
four cloves of garlic minced.
2 tablespoons of flour
1 cup chicken broth

1. Cook the greens and garlic in the chicken broth until they are wilted and soft.

2. Heat the milk in a pot and add the flour. Stir until it thickens. Add the cheese, salt & pepper and basil or sage. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.

3. Place the greens in the cheese mixture and mix together. Place in a baking pan and top with breadcrumbs.

4. Cook at 425 for about a half hour.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm cooking dinner for my friend's birthday tomorrow, and this seems like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete