Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lop Chong in a garlic sauce

It was Feburary 2009 when I had an eye opening expereince with a magical hunk of meat, LOP CHONG, or more commonly know as Chinese Sausage. I remember the day I had just had my first 21 hour flight to Hawai'i and was tired and famished. My first experience with food not common to me, but every common to Hawai'i was a big old rice cooker filled with rice and this tiny bright red sausage in it. Now I can say this and many more trips that have followed have also made me adore rice in a way I never knew was possible. Ok so back to the sausage and garlic sauce dish......

RECIPE
4-6 links of lop chong
1 package of Pho noodles( you can really use any type of asian noodles, pho noodles cook in three minutes though.
2 bunches of greens ( I used collards and beet tops)
1 yellow onion
a bunch of garlic or garlic scapes
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of rice vinagar
1/2 cup of chicken broth
a splash of peanut oil or seasame oil
cornstarch

1. cook lop chong with a splash of whatever oil you use and come chopped garlic. After five minutes add you greens with the chicken broth and cook until the greens cook down.

2. While your greens are cooking down place your garlic, soy sauce, and rice vinagar in the blender and blend until mixed.
3. Boil a pot of water and once it boils place the pho noodles in and cook for three minutes.
4. After everything is cooked mix it all together in a wok. If the dish is runny this is where you can add the cornstarch to thicken it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment